This is a hand-on practical course delivered in the comprehensive automotive workshops at the Stenton Campus (Glenrothes), it covers practical area such as vehicle maintenance and repair, wheels & tyres, brakes, electrical, maintenance and safety checks, as well as an understanding of the vehicle trades such as fitting, electrical, service reception, valeting, paint operations roadside assistance, etc.
- This is a mainly workshop based programme, encompassing 5 core units associated with an introduction to vehicle layouts, wheels & tyres, suspension & braking systems, and a modification project.
- 2 Afternoon sessions per week for 1 year
- Tuesday and Thursday 2-4pm
- September to June
- Workshop Health & Safety
- Automotive Skills: The Garage
- Automotive Skills: The Technician
- Automotive Skills: The Car
- Automotive Skills: The Vehicle Modification Project
- Work based Skills Challenge
- A minimum of two National 3's and one National 4
- Or above in Maths, English and a Technology/Practical subject
Attainment of this course would count towards the "Technical Skill" entry requirement in our level 5 programmes, so you would only then require to attain National 4 Mathematics and English. Then subject to successful interview and a positive ILR Learner Record you could potentially attain a place on one of the following Level 5 programmes:
- Skills for Work Engineering (School Pupils Only)
- IMI Award: Transport Maintenance IMI Level 1
- NC Fabrication and Welding
- NC Electrical Engineering
- Engineering Practical Skills
Completion of this and further courses can lead to modern apprenticeship or employment as a trainee in a wide range of engineering and technology jobs, such as:
- fabrication and welding
- valve/pump maintenance
- and other related renewable technologies
- Application, aptitude test and a successful individual interview.