This physically active introductory course will introduce you to the skills, personal qualities and experiences required for the employment in the Sport & Fitness/ Leisure Industry. As well as developing personal and work ready skills, this course is ideal preparation for progressing to a higher level course in Sports & Fitness or Sports Coaching. You will develop a range of practical skills, refine your personal qualities and gain confidence in a variety of situations through a range of practical experiences in the classroom, sports facilities and through outdoor activities.
The course may also be suitable for those considering a career in the Armed Services (Army Prep) or the Security/ Public Safety Industries where Fitness, Communication, Problem Solving and Team-working Skills are key components.
Successful completion allows you to progress on to a higher level of our sport and fitness courses and improve your career prospects.
- Online Application with Personal Statement and Qualifications history
- Health and Wellbeing
- Sporting activities
- Sports officiating
- Assisting with activity sessions
- Volunteering/volunteering teams
- Fitness activities
- Employability skills/personal development
- Outdoor activities
- Accident prevention and emergency procedures
- Core Skills e.g. ICT, numeracy and communication will be signposted and developed throughout this course
- One year full-time based at our Stenton Campus in Glenrothes
- Leisure attendant
- Lifeguard (with additional external qualification)
- Sports leader
- Volunteer in the sport and fitness industry
- Youth/ Community work
- Sports Coaching
- Intermediate Certificate: Sport and Fitness
- Advanced Certificate: Sport Fitness (may be suitable for students who can be fast-tracked)
- For school leavers ideally 3 passes at National 3 or National 4 or equivalent including English or a Science Subject. (see our Qualifications Explained section for details)
- Evidence of recent participation in sport and fitness activities. This should be included in your Personal Statement in your Application
- For adult returners, relevant industry experience and/or other qualifications will be considered on an individual basis
- Achievement of a college course with successful passes ideally at SCQF Level 3/4
- Evidence of recent participation in sport and fitness activities. This should be included in your Personal Statement in your Application.
- A positive Internal Learner Reference (ILR)
- Sport and fitness related kit is required to take part in practical activities such as; trainers, tracksuit bottoms, training tops, and shorts. Wherever possible we will supply you with equipment and or clothing.
Expected Jobs 2020
Expected Jobs 2023
Statistics are representative based on National data collated and provided by Emsi Economic Modelling.