Our CMI Level 5 Certificate in Management and Leadership gives you key skills and competencies you'll need to become the manager you want to be.
CMI qualifications deliver a professional pathway for learners, whether you are starting out in your career or looking to upskill and develop management skills. Proven to boost earning potential and designed in collaboration with employers, learning can be applied straight to the workplace, improving productivity, and creating conscious leaders.
• Develop the skills needed to lead and manage individuals and teams
• Provides a broader knowledge of skills to help you be more effective in specific management areas
CMI state “Employers are actively looking for management qualifications on CVs, but only 1 in 5 managers have a recognised management qualification."
CMI qualifications offer a range of development opportunities across a choice of levels, aligned to real job roles and the skills that employers need. Our qualifications are not only proven to improve performance, they’re designed to provide a clear pathway for progression towards the ultimate Management and Leadership achievement, Chartered Manager.
• Project Management
• Leading People
• Managing People
• Management of Self
• Decision Making
• Operational management approaches and models including creating plans to deliver objectives and set KPIs
• Business development tools e.g. SWOT and approaches to continuous improvement
• Management systems, processes and contingency planning
• Input to strategic planning
• Produce reports, providing management information based on the collation, analysis and interpretation of data
• Plan, organise and manage resources
• Delegate and enable delivery through others
• Building Relationships
• Undertake critical analysis and evaluation to support decision making
• Use effective problem solving techniques
- CMI Level 5 Certificate in Management and Leadership can be achieved within 16 weeks and is delivered using an approach of blended learning encompassing virtual / interactive delivery and support of 2 workshops per unit and 1 assessment preparation session.
- You also have the opportunity to attend our masterclasses either in person or remotely, on specified Saturday mornings, at our Carnegie Conference Centre.
To achieve your Certificate, you will study two units from the below (which unit is dependant on start date). The units are themed as:
Theme 1: Foundations for Excellence with a focus on the foundations for management and leadership practice.
Theme 2: Developing Capabilities, Delivering Results, Driving Best Practice focused on Interpersonal Excellence – Managing People and Developing Relationships, Organisational Performance – Delivering Results (Day to Day Activities).
Principles of Leadership Practice - Develop your understanding of ethical leadership and the impact of culture and values on leadership. You will examine leadership models and the concept of empowerment, with consideration of techniques and methods for leading others.
Managing Performance – You will evaluate the reasons for managing performance of staff and the approaches that can be used. Explore methods of rewarding the performance of individuals who exceed expectations and analyse ways of managing under performance in a professional and supportive manner. This will help you focus on the way performance management, when used effectively, is able to impact on individual and organisational achievement.
Managing Conflict - Managing conflict takes resilience. It requires the ability to evaluate complex information, make evidence-based judgements and act professionally within the bounds of organisational and legal frameworks. This unit is designed to equip you with strategies to manage conflict with confidence, find creative solutions and make difficult decisions.
Managing Change - Change is inevitable if an organisation is to maintain competitiveness and currency of practice. This unit has been designed to enable you to evaluate types and reasons for change within organisations and be able to select and apply theoretical models for its management. The purpose is not only to enable you to develop the skills to manage change and achieve set objectives, but to do so in a professional manner with open and honest communication throughout the entire process.
Creating and Delivering Operational Plans - The ability to translate organisational objectives into operational plans is an essential management skill. The unit opens with the importance of understanding the strategic direction of the organisation and how to contribute to the strategic planning process. It then focuses on the knowledge and skills required to create and deliver operational plans. This includes the need to set key performance indicators, monitor quality and outcomes against the plan, and know how to effectively report on findings.
- There are no specific entry requirements for this qualification, but as a Learner you will be ideally to be working within an organisation or role where they can demonstrate skills and apply knowledge.
- Alternatively, you could draw on previous experience within an organisation or use an organisation you are familiar with.
- From the Certificate in Management and Leadership, you can progress the full Diploma at CMI Level 5
Learners who are aspiring to a management role may progress to the job roles such as:
● Operations Manager
● Divisional Manager
● Departmental Manager
● Regional Manager
● Specialist Manager
- Applications are open all year round.
- All applicants will receive a one-to-one discussion with one of our course delivery lecturers to ensure this is the correct level and qualification for you.