Computing science is vital to everyday life: socially, technologically, and economically; it shapes the world in which we live, as well as its future.
Computing is embedded in the world around us, from systems and devices in our homes and places of work, to how we access education, entertainment, transportation, and communication.
Understanding computational processes and thinking is also vital to many other fields including science, economics, business and industry.
While many learners will want to become computing professionals, all will benefit from the development of these foundational skills and the underpinning knowledge necessary to meet the needs of society today and for the future.
The aims of the course are to enable you to:
- Develop computational thinking skills across a range of contemporary contexts
- Develop knowledge and understanding of key concepts and processes in computing science
- Apply skills and knowledge in analysis, design, implementation and evaluation to a range of digital solutions
- Communicate computing concepts and explain computational behaviour clearly and concisely using appropriate terminology
- Develop an understanding of the role and impact of computing science in changing and influencing our environment and society
Related to these aims, and underlying the study of computing science, are a number of unifying themes, including technological progress and trends, the relationship between software, hardware and system performance, and information representation and transfer as a core component of any computation. These are used to explore a variety of specialist areas through practical and investigative tasks.
This course has four areas of study:
- Software design and development
- Computer systems
- Database design and development
- Web design and development
- National 4 Computing Science or relevant Units
- Numeracy (National 4) Unit
Fife College will accept achievement of this course along with three National 5s for entry onto the following courses:
- National Certificate: Computer Games Development (Programing) SCQF Level 6 – National 5 Maths also required
- National Certificate: Computer Games Development (Creative Content and Animation) SCQF Level 6
- National Certificate: Computing with Digital Media (Web and Mobile Applications) at SCQF Level 6
- Achievement of this course gives automatic certification of Core Skill Information and Communication Technology at SCQF Level 5