This Foundation Apprenticeship (FA) covers a wide range of hardware and system support digital skills essential in today’s IT industry. You will create and configure ICT systems as well as diagnose faults and solve them!
Your skills and knowledge will be developed in the areas of security, networks and server administration. Using current industry technologies, hardware, and software you will be given access to setup and control your own computer networks. Sophisticated diagnostic and simulation tools will also be provided to support your learning and understanding of this exciting and growing industry.
You will develop a wide range of skills and knowledge in the area of hardware and software used in computer network environments. Security of these systems is paramount and you will be able to design security and access control processes whilst administering computer networks.
Wider problem solving, analytical and communication skills will be also be developed to ensure doors open for you in a future ICT support career.
Your National Progression Award (NPA) will cover:
- Security fundamentals
- Network fundamentals
- Server administration fundamentals
During both years your course will include hands-on, practical tasks as part of your work placement and in college laboratories. Topics will include:
- Personal effectiveness
- Health and safety in IT and telecom
- IT and telecom system operation
- Testing IT and telecom systems
- Working with IT and telecoms hardware and equipment
- Achieved National 5 qualifications
- You must be capable of working at SCQF Level 6 (Higher)
- An excellent attendance record in school
- FAs are accepted by colleges and universities as part of their entry requirements. For full details, check out apprenticeships.scot
Fife College will accept achievement of the FA in Information Technology: Hardware/System Support as equivalent to two Highers which will support you to gain entry to:
- HNC: Computing SCQF Level 7
- HND: Computing: Technical Support SCQF Level 8
- HND: Computing: Networking SCQF Level 8
- HND: Cyber Security SCQF Level 8
- IT technical support
- Systems analyst
- Database administrator
- Network manager