The IRTEC licence scheme comes under the remit of the awarding body IMI Awards, who are the leading awarding body for the motor industry.
- Training and assessment - 1½ days
- Fife College Future Skills Centre, Stenton Road, Glenrothes, Fife, KY6 2RA
The IRTEC license scheme comes under the remit of the awarding body IMI Awards, who are the leading awarding body for the motor industry.
- A 1 ½ day teaching then assessment process, whereby candidates will receive teaching input to refresh or improve their knowledge before undertaking two online assessments the same day, followed by another ½ day for one practical assessment. The three assessments to be undertaken are:
- Online theory assessment (1 hour max) of legislation relating to vehicle operations including: ‘O’ Licensing; Categorisation of Defects; Operator Compliance Score; Health and Safety
- Online theory assessment (1 hour max) of technical knowledge including: Braking Systems; Wheels and Tyres; Steering and Suspension; Inspection Routines; Body; Transmission Systems
- Practical assessment (1 ½ hours max) of carrying out a vehicle inspection to MOT standards
- All practical assessments will be carried out on-site at the owner’s premises under controlled conditions. Teaching and theory assessment can be carried out either: at Fife College’s Glenrothes Campus or, at the owner’s premises subject to facilities and prior agreement. Prices include registration fees, IRTEC certification and ID card
The minimum entry requirements for all of the IRTEC ‘Inspection Technician’ routes, set down by the awarding body IMI Awards, are:
- 3 years relevant industrial experience in an appropriate role
- A relevant industry nationally recognised qualification - for example, Level 3 S/NVQ (or equivalent qualification) plus a minimum of one year’s post qualification experience in an appropriate role
- Gaining an IRTEC ‘Inspection Technician’ licence can help progression to ‘Advanced Technician’ and ‘Master Technician’ licence levels. An IRTEC licence demonstrates a level of skill and quantifies your knowledge to any future employer. It also demonstrates to a current or potential employer a commitment to professional development and maintaining a standard of excellence. This commitment to further developing your career gives you a competitive edge when applying for promotions and new posts.