This BINDT approved course provides basic theory and practical work on test pieces and industrial components, with emphasis on interpretation of defect indications, also comparing sensitivity of the visible and fluorescent methods. Using MPI bench units or portable equipment as required.
Training accredited to ASNT Level 1 and 2 and PCN Level 1 and 2. (PCN syllabus reference No PCN/GEN/92 Appendix E1.2).
Unfortunately, due to the current public health situation, we are not able to offer any NDT training until November 2020.
- Courses in magnetic particle inspection can be taken over 2 days for Level 1, and 3 days for Level 2 if Level 1 is already held by the trainee
- These courses will then be costed at £160 per day
- Straight to Level 2 in these techniques will require five days training
- This course is delivered at our Glenrothes Campus
- Principles of magnetism
- Magnetic fields
- Permeability and reluctance
- Lines of force
- Methods of testing
- Interpretation of indications
- Practical exercises
- Method of assessing sensitivity
- Report writing and safety procedures
- The course ends with a written and practical test
On completing the course, you will be able to:
- Understand the basic principles of magnetic particle inspection
- Carry out magnetic particle inspection on welds, castings and forgings using a range of magnetising methods
- Write inspection procedures and test reports
- Meet the syllabus requirement for ASNT/PCN Levels 1 and 2
- ASNT examinations may be arranged on the final day of the course
Fife College NDT Centre complies with the requirements of BS EN ISO 9001:2015 for the provision of training and examination of NDT personnel.
- This course is suitable for NDT personnel, inspectors, and technicians employed in, or personnel with a responsibility for the inspection of, fabrications, castings, and forgings during manufacture or in service
- All delegates wishing to take a PCN examination must have natural or corrected vision satisfying the minimum PCN requirements PSL 44
- PCN syllabus reference No PCN/GEN Appendix Z1
- £1,036 for five days
- This price includes exam or levy fees