Business plays an important role in society, as it creates wealth, prosperity, jobs and choices. It is therefore essential to have effective businesses and business managers to sustain this role. The National 5 Business Management course helps you develop an understanding of the economic and financial environment in which businesses operate. This enables them to make an effective contribution to society as consumers, employees, employers or self-employed people.
- Decision-making — by applying the ideas of ethical and effective business decisions to solve straightforward business-related problems
- Communicating straightforward business ideas, opinions and information relating to the effects of internal and external factors on business activity
- How enterprising skills can help in business development
- Understanding how to enhance employability skills
- Interpreting and evaluating straightforward business financial data to ensure effective financial management
- Analysing the effectiveness of a limited range of marketing activities, and understanding how they can be used to enhance customer satisfaction
- Evaluating a range of production techniques used to maximise the quality of goods/services
- Fife College Halbeath Campus
- Monday and Wednesday afternoons.
- You will be introduced to the business environment while developing skills, knowledge and understanding of enterprise, and the role of different types of business organisations in society. You will also learn about the internal and external environments in which organisations operate, and the role of stakeholders in business.
Management of marketing
- You will develop skills, knowledge and understanding of the importance to organisations of having effective marketing systems. You will learn about the processes and procedures organisations use to maintain competitiveness, and how marketing can be used to communicate effectively with consumers, maximising customer satisfaction.
Management of operations
- You will develop skills, knowledge and understanding of the importance to organisations of having effective operations systems. You will learn about the processes and procedures used to maintain quality through the effective management of suppliers, inventory, and methods of production in an ethical manner.
Management of people
- You will develop skills, knowledge and understanding of the issues facing organisations when managing people. You will learn about the theories, concepts and processes relating to human resource management, and how employees contribute to the success of organisations.
Management of finance
- You will develop skills, knowledge and understanding of the issues facing organisations when managing finance. You will learn about the basic theories, concepts and processes relating to financial aspects of business, when preparing and interpreting information to solve financial problems facing organisations.
- School Transition Form
- An excellent attendance record in school
- Entry is at the discretion of the centre but, while no formal entry qualifications are required, it would be beneficial if candidates embarking on the course were working towards National 4 qualifications that includes Business: An Introduction.
- NPA Business Skills (SCQF Level 6)
- Foundation Apprenticeship: Business Skills