If you are planning to progress to a higher education course after leaving school then this is the course for you as part of your school timetable. The course will provide you with the opportunity to explore many different topics related to HE study and enable you to find answers to prepare you for a successful journey ahead. Your higher education destination could be either Higher National Certificate/Diploma study at College or a degree at University. Equally, if your plans change, the knowledge and skills developed during the course will still be very useful when you enter employment.
It is envisaged that a range of topics would be coved by the university partners that may include but not limited to the following:
- Study skills
- Critical Thinking
- Analytical skills
- Healthy eating
- Persuasive writing
- Textual analysis
- Independent study
- Note taking
- Online research
- Time management
- Report writing
- Presentation Skills
- Revision skills
- Personal finance and budgeting
- Using data and visual representation
- Student Funding (SAAS)
- HE/Degree Timetables: Lectures; Seminars; Tutorials; Independent Study
- Survey writing and interviewing skills
- 1 academic year; 2 sessions of 2 hours per week plus independent study
- Optional holiday/weekend sessions (offer to be confirmed)
Fife College are proud to confirm that this course includes formal input from a number of Fife College university partners and organisations including:
- Abertay University
- Edinburgh Napier University
- Fife College
- Heriot-Watt University
- LIFT OFF (a Schools for Higher Education Programme)
- Queen Margaret University
- Robert Gordon University
- Skills Development Scotland
- University of St Andrews
The course includes certification for the following subjects: SQA HV9Y 46: Academic Study Skills SCQF Level 6, SQA H18W 46: Personal Development: Practical Abilities SCQF Level 6, SQA F3GC 12: Information Communication Technology SCQF Level 6 and D669 12 Research Skills SCQF Level 6.
This course will develop your study skills and support your readiness for progression on to study at higher education level (SCQF level 7 and above) at college or university.
You will learn how to plan, prepare and approach study at higher education level. The activities will support your understanding of meta skills and building your skills development profile.
You will enhance your digital skills and ability to review and reflect on your strengths and areas for development as part of personal development planning. Time will also be spent leaning valuable higher level academic study skills to ensure you are well prepared for your next step of study at college or university.
You will also have the opportunity to meet staff from six universities who will share the delivery of this course and you can ask any questions you have regarding what it is like to study at higher education level and how this is different from learning, teaching and assessment at school. This course will build your confidence and skills giving you a positive ‘kick start’ to the next step in progressing your education after leaving school.
- Pupils should be studying at least 1 SQA Higher
- Due to the nature of the course learners could progress onto a number of HE courses at any College or University.
- The course is designed to enhance knowledge/skills to complement their senior phase pupil school subject results.
- The pupil's higher education destination could be either Higher National Certificate/Diploma study at College or a degree at University.
- Progression opportunities for apprenticeships include Modern or Graduate Apprenticeships at SCQF Levels 6 to 10.
- Progression to Higher Education study in any discipline/subject - develops meta and essential skills
- Online application via Fife College website.