This BINDT approved course can be taken as the first week of the three week Practical Ultrasonics Inspection course. It provides comprehensive knowledge of the theory and practice of Ultrasonic Testing of wrought plate for technicians to reach Level 2 standard.
Training accredited to PCN Level 2. (PCN syllabus reference No PCN ISO 20807 Appendix A1.1).
Unfortunately, due to the current public health situation, we are not able to offer any NDT training until November 2020.
- 15 days
- Consideration of Radiographic Interpretation certification and any industrial experience will be taken into account to reduce the time required on the course
The course includes:
- Product technology – processes and defects
- Basic principles of ultrasonics, nature of sound, flaw detector, setting the controls, behaviour of ultrasonic waves, transmission, reflection, resonance, calibration and reference blocks, plotting, flaw location, practical exercises, e.g. plates, laminations, etc.
On completing the course you should be able to:
- Understand the basic concept of ultrasonics
- Calibrate ultrasonic equipment using calibration blocks
- Measure the thickness of steel plate
- Determine attenuation levels
- Locate, determine and report size of laminations in steel plates
- Interpret code requirements related to ultrasonic testing
- Meet the syllabus requirements for ASNT/PCN Level 2
- Fife College NDT Centre complies with the requirements of BS EN ISO 9001:2015 for the provision of training and examination of NDT personnel
- This course is suitable for NDT personnel, inspectors, testers, and engineers who require a thorough introduction to ultrasonic testing of wrought plate
- All delegates wishing to take a PCN examination must have natural or corrected vision satisfying the minimum PCN requirements PSL 44
- PCN syllabus reference no PCN/GEN appendix Z1
- This price includes exam or levy fees