This is a hand-on practical course delivered in the comprehensive automotive workshops at the Stenton Campus (Glenrothes), it covers practical area such as vehicle maintenance and repair, wheels & tyres, brakes, electrical, maintenance and safety checks, as well as an understanding of the vehicle trades such as fitting, electrical, service reception, valeting, paint operations roadside assistance, etc.
- Self-evaluation skills
- Positive attitude learning
- Flexible approaches to solving problems
- Adaptability and positive attitude to change
- Confidence to set goals, reflect and learn from experience
- 2 Afternoon sessions per week for 1 year; Tuesday and Thursday 2-4pm, September to June
- Workshop Health & Safety
- Automotive Skills: The Garage
- Automotive Skills: The Technician
- Automotive Skills: The Car
- Automotive Skills: The Vehicle Modification Project
- A minimum of two National 3's and one National 4 or above in Maths, English and a Technology/Practical subject.
Attainment of this course would count towards the "Technical Skill" entry requirement in our level 5 programmes, so you would only then require to attain National 4 Mathematics and English. Then subject to successful interview and a positive ILR Learner Record you could potentially attain a place on one of the following Level 5 programmes:
- Skills for Work Engineering (School Pupils Only)
- IMI Award: Transport Maintenance IMI Level 1
- NC Fabrication and Welding
- NC Electrical Engineering
- Engineering Practical Skills
- Completion of this and further courses can lead to modern apprenticeships or employment as a trainee in a wide range of engineering and technology jobs, such as mechanical, electrical, automotive, fabrication and welding, maintenance, manufacturing/machining, valve/pump maintenance and other related renewable technologies.
- Application and ILR review, aptitude test and a successful individual interview.