The purpose of this course is to provide you with the knowledge, skills, and understanding necessary to be a junior barber.
It is designed for learners aged 16 years or over and has a variety of practical and theoretical units for you to achieve. You will be expected to gather evidence of both the practical skills and underpinning knowledge for each unit you study and create a portfolio of evidence.
- 34 weeks, 16 hours per week in college plus work placement
- An evening/twilight session may compromise part of your timetable
- Advising and consulting with clients
- Shampooing, conditioning, and treating the hair and scalp
- Developing and maintaining your effectiveness at work
- Cutting hair using basic barbering techniques
- Cutting facial hair to shape using basic techniques
- Reception duties
- Drying and finishing men’s hair
- Creating basic outlines and detailing in hair
- Colouring and lightening men’s hair
The course also covers a mandatory work placement in a barber salon. You are encouraged to have this established at the start of the course.
- You must be 16 years old
- You must have a work placement in a barbershop as part of your course
- Three National 4s, preferably including English
- National 5: English for Speakers of Other Languages (ESOL) (where applicable)
- You must have a good understanding of the industry
- SVQ: Barbering at SCQF Level 6 and above
- Junior barber
- You may be required to take part in an informal conversation as part of the application process. This group/individual conversation may be an information session, a portfolio discussion, or a skills based exercise