COURSE INFORMATIONThis pre-apprenticeship course in Transport Maintenance is specifically designed for those looking to follow a career in the automotive industry. The units taught are mainly automotive-based and are selected to provide a broad spectrum of fundamental skills required to commence a Modern Apprenticeship as a vehicle technician.
- One year full-time
- Health and safety, customer relations, and organisational structures
- Automotive engine mechanical (petrol, diesel fuel) and hybrid/electric
- Automotive engine air/fuel/exhaust systems
- Automotive chassis (steering, brakes, and suspension)
- Introduction to welding
- Electrical installation and maintenance
- Engineering bench skills
- Employability skills
- Information computing technology
- Problem solving
- Working with others
One of the following:
- Three National 4s which must include Maths, English, and a Technology or Science-based subject
- Successful completion of the three National 5 Mathematics Units or the two National 5 English Units will also be acceptable if the applicant has achieved these rather than National 4’s in these subjects
- Certificate: Introduction to Engineering and Technology EAL Level 1 (with SCQF Level 4 Maths and English)
- Certificate: Gateway to Engineering SCQF Level 4 (with SCQF Level 4 Maths and English)
- You may be required to take part in an informal conversation as part of the application process. This group/individual conversation may be an information session, a portfolio discussion, or a skills based exercise. A positive ILR Individual Learner Reference is also essential for progressing students.
- IMI Certificate: Transport Maintenance SCQF Level 6 Automotive engineering Modern Apprenticeships.
- Completion of this course supports fast-track progression to year 2 of automotive Modern Apprenticeships.
- You may be required to take part in an informal conversation as part of the application process. This group/individual conversation may be an information session, a portfolio discussion, or a skills based exercise.