The majority of this course focusses on the practical aspects of hairdressing, and you will also develop the interpersonal skills required for working in the hairdressing industry. There are practical assessments as well as online theoretical assessments. You will be required to work in paired activity with your classmates, be prepared to have your hair done a lot! You will definitely need to practise on your friends and family outside of College to develop your skills. You will need to bring in your own clients for some of your assessments. If you are creative, artistic, outgoing and enjoy meeting people, then this course is for you.
- You will develop interpersonal skills, communication skills and personal presentation skills that are necessary for a career in hairdressing.
- One year full-time, 2-2.5 days a week in College, this may include evening/twilight classes on your timetable.
- You will learn all of the initial aspects of hairdressing - styling, shampooing, hair condition, consultation techniques, reception services, product knowledge. You will also learn about sustainability, mental health, resilience, ICT and personal presentation. Cutting skills will also be developed during the course.
- Two Nat4 or equivalent (one must be English) , mature students will be considered depending on experience and interview
- You can progress to SVQ2 in Hairdressing on successful completion of this course.
- This course will enable you to gain employment in the hairdressing industry as a junior/assistant.
- There is an all black dress code - trousers, top & shoes/trainers (black) is ideal. You will need a £50 deposit for your kit. You will require a padlock for your locker.
- Group information session, which may include a small practical activity to gauge interpersonal skills, and individual interview.