This course is designed for those who are currently employed in a playwork or childcare setting. It will provide the theoretical knowledge and practical skills you require to work as a Childcare Practitioner / Early Years Officer.
This is a vocational qualification and you will be assessed by a portfolio of evidence measured against national standards of competency. As much of the evidence for the portfolio is generated in the workplace you will be assigned an individual assessor who will observe your work practice and support you throughout this qualification.
This course is accepted for registration with the Scottish Social Services Council (SSSC). Visit the SSSC website for more information about registration requirements.
- Good Communication skills
Flexible delivery (to be completed in nine - 12 months)
You should ideally be employed as a practitioner with children and young people or self-employed as a registered childminder, for a minimum of 12 hours per week
If you plan to work in a Fife Council Early Years setting you should note that Fife Council requires you to have two stipulated curriculum and assessment units included in the group award. These will be built into delivery if you are following this path.
Other units include:
- Development and wellbeing of children and young adults
- Theoretical approaches to development and learning
- Observation of children & young people
- Play opportunities
- Safe working practices
- You will learn how to become a reflective practitioner
- You will be required to demonstrate oral and written communication skills at SCQF Level 7 and have relevant work experience within the care sector
One of the following:
- You must be currently employed in an early learning and childcare setting and have the support of your manager.
The following would be advantageous but not necessary:
- SVQ: Social Services Children and Young People/CCLD SCQF Level 6
- National Certificate: Early Education and Childcare Group Award
- Professional Development Award: Education Support Assistance SCQF Level 6
- Other SCQF level 6 qualifications and experience of working in childcare will be considered on an individual basis
- HND Childhood Practice SCQF Level 8
- SVQ: Social Services Children and Young People SCQF Level 9
This SVQ is accepted for registration with the SSSC at practitioner level and will help career enhancement and progression
Stationery approximate cost £30
- You must also have access to the internet and a PC / laptop / mobile digital device.
Attend an interview and undertake a written exercise
Provide a personal statement submitted along with application form
Have the approval of your employer to undertake this qualification