Study childcare part-time at Fife College

You can study relevant, industry-designed qualifications part-time at Fife College, allowing you to fit learning and developing skills for a fantastic new career around your life.

At the moment, only 50% of early years officers in the UK are in full-time employment, with the other 50% being either part-time or self-employed.

So, it’s not just your studies that you can fit around your life! It’s a great career if you have other existing commitments, such as your own family, to consider.

Why Childcare?

There’s more to childcare than building sandcastles, making dens, or creating glitter paintings. Early learning professionals are responsible for giving children the best start in life using ideas and activities that help their little personalities grow.

Children are naturally curious and enthusiastic for learning and play, and this often rubs off on those working with them. In the same way, the people who work with children are able to help them by encouraging and supporting them to explore and develop an understanding of the world around them.

Working with children is one of the most rewarding things you can do - and it can also be a lot of fun.

More on a career in childcare

Which course is right for me?

Advanced Certificate: Access to HN Childhood Practice

If you’d like to study at HNC level, but don’t have the qualifications needed right now, this course is perfect.

It’s an abridged version of National Certificate: Early Education and Childcare and will provide you with the childcare skills and qualifications required for entry to HNC: Childhood Practice.

You’ll have the opportunity to develop real-world vocational skills, too, while on a work placement as part of this course.

Learn more

Professional Development Award: Education Support Assistance

This course is designed for those who wish to work, or are presently working, as an Education Support Assistant (sometimes known as either Classroom Assistant or Support for Learning Assistant). The PDA is viewed as an alternative to National Certificate: Early Education and Childcare and can provide progression to the HNC: Childhood Practice.

You will undertake a work placement in a primary school one day per week plus four one-week blocks.

Find out more

SVQ: Social Services (Children and Young People)

If you are currently employed as a practitioner with children and young people, or you’re self-employed as a registered childminder, this SVQ is ideal to upskill and continue your development.

As an SVQ, it is work-based and it’ll take 6-9 months to complete.

Learn more

HNC: Childhood Practice

Did you know an HNC is the same as first year of a university degree?

This extremely sought-after qualification can allow you to enter your dream career at practitioner level.

You will have the opportunity to undertake a two day work placement within a childcare setting, providing you with valuable experience of working with children whilst linking theory to practice.

This really is the perfect course if you are currently employed within an early years setting and are looking to develop qualifications within this field.

See full information

The right study option for you

Studying part-time can mean evenings or weekends. It allows you to gain the qualifications you need for your dream career without having to give up any other aspects of your life – such as work or family.

Part-time study means that your learning is very much on your terms, at times that suit you better. And, not only will you still get the same qualifications at the end of your course as you would have if you’d studied full-time, you’ll also still get all of the help and support from us that our full-time students get.

Talk to us about your options

Funding available

It’s not just the study options that are flexible at Fife College – our funding is flexible to your needs, too!

If you’re looking to study part-time, you could be eligible for a Part-Time Fee Grant from either SAAS or the Individual Learning Account (ILA). This is used to partially or fully fund the tuition fees for your course.

Funding could also be available for you for Childcare, Travel, and Rent/Mortgage interest payments.

If you are unsure about what funding you could be eligible for, contact us to discuss your options.

Email us