Generally, gaining a qualification after school will increase earning potential many times over, and so will the wider skills and attributes that you will develop by studying your qualification at Fife College.
"Every year, students qualifying from college see their collective income increase by £150M".
(Scotland's Colleges; The Economic Impact of Scotland’s Colleges.)
Working with employers
Fife College works closely with businesses and employers to ensure that the courses we provide, deliver the skills, competences and learning that puts you in the best position to start and build your career.
By developing programmes that are relevant, up-to-date and support the needs of businesses, we help our students gain the skills that employers are looking for.
We also regularly review and adapt our courses to meet the changing needs of industry to ensure that we continue to offer courses that support you to gain the skills you really need to go from college straight into employment.
So what skills are employers looking for?
Well, employers look for vocational competence, so things like:
- A positive attitude to learning and development; ready to follow instructions and take advice
- A positive attitude to work; can work co-operatively with others, listens and understands instructions, willingness to carry out tasks, is open to advice and guidance
- Someone who is self-aware; accepts responsibility, considers the impact of their actions on others, consistently aims to do well
- Due attention to own well-being
- Appropriate skills and knowledge for the job
- Good at communicating
- Focus and determination
Complete courses with all the skills you need built in
These skills are built in to every course at Fife College although you may be more used to them being grouped under the heading of Core or Essential Skills;
- Information and Communications Technology
- Working with Others
- Problem Solving
These five areas encompass the skills that will help you develop vocational competence and help you to deal positively and successfully with different challenges and situations that you may face in the workplace.
Ready to get started on the path to your dream career? Great! We have a wide range of courses, whatever level you're looking to start at. Applications are open now!
And you don't even have to wait until you leave school to study with us - our wide range of School College Partnership courses mean you can start right now.