Getting Your Funding Sorted

It’s important to know about the different types of funding support available to you whilst studying at Fife College.

You should apply for the relevant funding as soon as the funding process is open, to ensure it is in place for the start of your course. You will be notified via email when funding for the academic year becomes available.

All funding will depend on the level of course you are studying and your own personal circumstances. Most students will be eligible for some form of assistance to help with the cost of studying. This may include living costs, travel expenses, childcare fees and rent/mortgage assistance.

If you are a Scottish student attending a further education college in Scotland, you usually don’t pay fees. In addition, you may also receive help with the cost of studying, including living and travel costs and childcare. What you’re entitled to will depend on:

· Where you live, i.e. your nationality and residency status.

· Your course, e.g. above or below HNC level, full or part-time.

· Your age.

· Your personal circumstances, e.g. your income or parents’ income, marital status, number of dependents.


Most Scottish students who live in Scotland and want to study an FE/HE course at a Scottish college are likely to be eligible for bursary support (subject to meeting other criteria, such as rules regarding previous study, see SFC/SAAS bursary guidance for further information). 

To be treated as a Scottish home student you must meet all of the following three conditions: 

  1. You normally live in Scotland on the first day of the first academic year of the course (usually 1st August); and 
  2. You've been living in the UK for 3 years before starting your course; and 
  3. You're a UK national or have 'settled status' (no restrictions on how long you can stay). 

Students from the rest of the UK (England, Wales and Northern Ireland) and the Islands, unless they can show that they meet all of the above residence conditions and are not here for the purposes of education, should consult the appropriate funding body in the relevant part of the UK and Islands to see if any student support is available for them to study in Scotland. 

If you don't meet all of the three conditions, you may still be eligible for some elements of support if you meet the requirements of one of the other UK residency categories listed: 

  • You're an EU national, or family member of an EU national with settled/pre-settled status. 
  • You're a refugee. 
  • You're under humanitarian protection (as a result of a failed application for Asylum). 
  • You're a migrant worker. 
  • You're a child of a Swiss national; or 
  • You're a child of a Turkish worker. 
  • You're a Syrian Refugee (VPRS). 

You must also normally be living in Scotland on the first day of the first academic year of the course. 

If you do not meet the residency criteria you will be liable to pay the college tuition fee and you are advised to contact student services to find out what level of fee will apply. 

You can find out more information on residency on the SAAS website. 

Full-time Further Education (FE)

An FE (or non-advanced) course is any course below HNC Level (or SCQF Level 7).

Find out more
Full-time Higher Education (HE)

An HE (or advanced) course is any course at HNC Level or above (SCQF Level 7 and above).

Find out more
Tuition Fees

Information about support with payment of tuition fees for courses at either HE or FE level, including advice for Self or Part-funding Students.

Find out more

Contact Information

Our aim is to support every individual who seeks to further their education. You can make an appointment to see one of our Funding Team if you need assistance with your funding application or have any questions regarding funding.

Student Funding Applications for 24/25 for FE level (SCQF Level 6 and below) are not yet available.

We will automatically send you a link to apply if you have accepted an offer on a course. Please keep an eye on your junk/spam folder as it might go in there.

If you are studying at HNC level or higher (SCQF Level 7 and above) you will also be sent a link containing an email to apply for assistance with Rent/Mortgage Interest costs and Childcare fees. 

We are hoping these applications will be available mid July.

Please ensure you have applied to SAAS for your tuition fees, living costs and Student Loan before you complete the Student Funding application form. You can do this by visiting their website -

In the meantime if you have any questions please do not hesitate to get in contact with us on 0344 248 0115 or