The HND in Sound Production is designed for those interested in pursuing a career in sound production and who wish to develop the knowledge and creative and technical skills required for the sound production industries. It is suitable for school leavers, adult returners, the self-employed/ freelancer.
It is aimed at those who have some previous experience, perhaps through a lower level qualification, or who show potential and demonstrate a strong interest to develop their skills. The qualifications are intended to facilitate progression to employment within the sound production industries or to further study within higher education.
This is a creative and technical and highly practical course; delivered in our uniquely designed specialist professional recording studio complex, it is designed to develop the knowledge and skills necessary for working in the sound production industry.
- Sound, Audio and Music Production Skills
- Recording Skills
- Mixing Skills
- Mastering Skills
- Project Management Skills
- Live Sound Skills
- Sound Design Skills
- Teamworking Skills
- Communication Skills
- Research and Analytical Skills
- AVID Pro Tools Skills
- Ableton Skills
- Working on a range of projects from your first week, you'll cover audio engineering, music production, sound design for games and film, re-mixing and using Digital Audio Workstations create and manipulate songs and soundscapes.
- Two years full-time
- Recording and mixing
- Sound and music production theory and practice
- The creative industries
- Digital audio workstations
- Location recording
- Post production sound
- Creative music re-mixing
- Pro Tools 101 and related AVID courses
- If you want to discover why and how music and sound has an emotional impact on you and others then join us in our unique Recording Studios to work with Bands, Solo Artists and other creative producers who need your skills to help them realise their creative project.
- You will explore where and how sound supports other creative content, e.g. Sound Design, Game Sound, Film Sound, Television, Radio, Podcast and Vlog production. Whatever the medium consumed, it is always more accessible and engaging with sound.
Year 1 One of the following:
- One Higher at Grade C or above ideally from Music Technology, Higher Music, Higher Physics plus 2 National 5s at Grade C or above. (English at National 5 C minimum)
- Foundation Apprenticeship: Creative and Digital Media SCQF Level 6 plus a National 5 at Grade C or above in English or Music
- National Certificate: Sound Production SCQF Level 6
- National Certificate: Creative Industries SCQF Level 6
- National Certificate: Music Performance SCQF Level 6
- Relevant industry experience and/or other qualifications will be considered on an individual basis
- HNC: Sound Production SCQF Level 7 (with 15 Achieved Credits)
- It is possible to progress on to a degree at university from this course - see our HE and Degree Pathways guide for more information.
- Entry to year 3 of a related degree is possible at many universities in Scotland and England.
- Audio engineer/producer
- Sound engineer in theatre
- Broadcasting assistant (TV, film and radio)
- Live sound engineer/tour support
- Music industry support
- Film/computer/computer games/multimedia industries
- You may need to purchase Headphones, Portable Hard-drive(s). We will advise you before you purchase.
- You may be required to take part in an informal conversation as part of the application process.
- This group/individual conversation may be an information session, a portfolio discussion, or a skills based exercise.