This is an excellent science course which prepares you to progress further in a science career. It is designed to allow you to progress in Further Education, onto HND: Applied Biological Sciences at Fife College, or to a university degree.
Alternatively, the curriculum will provide the theoretical knowledge and the laboratory skills needed to enter employment.
At the end of the HNC course, providing you meet the articulation requirements, you could progress directly into year 2 of a specific BSc (Hons) degree courses at any of the following partner Universities -
- Abertay University
- The University of Aberdeen
- Edinburgh Napier University
- Heriot-Watt University
- Queen Margaret University
- University of St Andrews
- University of the Highlands and Islands
Please see our website for more information about studying for a degree at Fife College.
Alternatively, you could progress directly into employment with a highly valued HNC qualification.
The course is open to both school leavers and those looking to change or further their careers.
Did you know......?
- An HNC is the same SCQF level as the first year of a university degree, and an HND is the same SCQF level as the second year. This means that you could progress straight to second or third year at university when you have completed your college course.
- Studying at college means that you can get a recognised qualification after each year of study, with the option then to either keep studying and still get a degree in four years or move into employment and return to study at a later date with some valuable qualifications already in the bag!
- Completing the first 2 years of your degree locally in Fife means that you can keep living, study and travel costs to a minimum and studying near home helps you manage your personal and family commitments while you study.
- One year full-time
- 18 months part-time (day release)
- Laboratory Skills for the Science Industry
- Quality And Health And Safety Systems In Science Industries
- Fundamental Chemistry: An Introduction
- Fundamental Chemistry: Theory & Practice
- Cell Biology: Theory & Laboratory Skills
- Biochemistry Theory & Laboratory Skills
- Microbiology Theory & Laboratory Skills
- DNA & Genetics
- Biotechnology: An Introduction
- Professional Development Planning
- Graded Unit 1
- Statistics for Science
- Mathematics for Science
- Information Technology Applications Software 1
One of the following:
- One Higher at Grade C or above in Biology, Human Biology, or Chemistry plus four National 5s at Grade C or above to include Biology, Chemistry, and Maths
- Foundation Apprenticeship: Scientific Technologies (Laboratory Skills) SCQF Level 6 plus four National 5s at Grade C or above to include Biology, Chemistry, and Maths
- Foundation Apprenticeship: Food and Drink Technologies SCQF Level 6 plus one Higher at Grade C or above in any Science subject and National 5 Maths at Grade C or above
- National Certificate: Applied Sciences SCQF Level 6
- Relevant industrial experience and/or other qualifications will be considered on an individual basis
- HND: Applied Biological Sciences SCQF Level 8
- Fife College has defined articulation routes in place for this course
Successful completion will enable you to seek employment in the Life Science industry such as:
- Research technician
- Research scientist
- Laboratory technician
- You may be required to take part in an informal conversation as part of the application process. This group/individual conversation may be an information session, a portfolio discussion, or a skills based exercise