If you have an HNC Counselling, this course provides you with the opportunity to progress onto Year 2 of the HND.
The HND is for those specifically seeking a career in the counselling sector. It will help you professionalise the industry, particularly in Scotland, by providing a qualification which meets the British Association for Counselling and Psychotherapy (BACP) requirements for individual entry to the national professional register.
- This course is only being delivered over two years, part-time.
- Pluralistic counselling
- Values and principles of counselling
- Personal development
- Workplace practice
- BACP Certificate of Proficiency
- Other optional units
- Direct entry into year 2 (HND) requires the full, successful completion of the related HNC 15 SQA credits and Graded Unit A pass
- For applicants who do not currently have the full 15 SQA credits, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org for further support on the options available to you to be accepted onto this HND course
- Positive reference from a lecturer/teacher or employer
- Interview - including group exercise, written piece, individual interview
- Evidence of personal development or volunteering in a counselling service
- It is the student's responsibility to secure a placement that meets their professional and developmental needs in addition to meeting the requirements of the course.
- It is mandatory that students successfully achieve 100 supervised, one to one, face to face counselling hours in placement.
- It is expected that students may take up to an additional 12 months beyond the completion of the course to successfully complete 100 hours of placement, a minimum of 50% of which must be delivered face to face.
- SAAS funding does not cover the period after your taught hours have been completed. If a student fails to achieve these hours within the allotted time for the placement it may result in the non-completion of the HND award.
- Placement supervision costs
- Travel to placement
- Books – approx. £100
- BACP student membership - exact costs are subject to available on BACP website
You may be required to take part in and pass all of the below as part of the application process:
- Participate and be evaluated as part of a group
- An individual case study written exercise
- A portfolio discussion, or a skills based exercise
- Readiness to practice – self evaluation
- Individual interview
- Personal statement
- Academic reference and witness testimony from suitably qualified people