Successful completion of the course will enable you to seek employment and register with the Scottish Social Services Council (SSSC) for working in Early Learning and Care settings.
This course is suitable if you are working in a playwork setting or senior role.
People doing these SVQs will often be responsible for the work of others and for allocating resources. Obtaining this qualification is dependent upon demonstrating competence at a senior level e.g. senior practitioner or manager in the workplace, where you are responsible for managing staff e.g. in a role of a team leader or deputy manager overseeing a group of support or keyworkers for approximately 6 months.
You must be employed for a minimum of 16 hours per week.
This is a vocational qualification and you will be assessed by a portfolio of evidence measured against national standards of competency. As much of the evidence for the portfolio is generated in the workplace you will be assigned an individual assessor who will observe your work practice and support you throughout this qualification.
This course is accepted for registration with the Scottish Social Services Council (SSSC). Visit the SSSC website for more information about registration requirements.
- People management
- Mentoring skills
- Good communicator
- Flexible learning: (to be completed in 18-24 months)
- This qualification is achieved through continual work-based assessment and you must be employed for a minimum of 16 hours per week
- Leadership in a children and young people setting
- Child development
- Working with other professionals
- Legislation, policies and procedures
- Support and supervision
- You must be employed as a senior practitioner or manager and be employed for a minimum of 16 hours weekly
- SVQ: Social Services (Children and Young People) SCQF Level 7
- You will be required to demonstrate oral and written communication skills at SCQF Level 7 and have relevant work experience within the care sector
- You will also require a PVG check through Disclosure Scotland in order to go out on the placement(s) as part of this course
- BA Childhood Practice at university
- This SVQ is accepted for registration with the SSSC at senior practitioner / manager level and will help career enhancement and progression
- Stationery – approx. £10
- You may be required to take part in an informal conversation as part of the application process. This group/individual conversation may be an information session, a portfolio discussion, or a skills based exercise
- PVG scheme membership (can be achieved through course)