The aim of this course is to enable those working in a care environment to improve their working practice by developing their skills, knowledge, and understanding of their role in the workplace. This course will allow you to register with the Scottish Social Services Council (SSSC). This is a flexible learning course.
This can also be completed in a flexible way by staff already working in care (to be completed in 6–9 months)
- You must be employed or working in a voluntary capacity as a support worker or care worker for a minimum of 12 hours per week
The SVQ qualification itself is delivered as part of a continuous course that can be assessed throughout the year. You will create a portfolio of evidence to demonstrate that you have appropriate knowledge, skills and understanding to carry out your role competently in the workplace or placement.
The SVQ framework is made up of mandatory and optional units. With aspects of care practice such as:
- Communicate with and complete records for individuals
- Support the health and safety of yourself and individuals
- Develop your knowledge and practice
- Ensure your own actions support the care, protection and wellbeing of individuals
- A selection of optional units will be chosen to reflect your placement/job role
- There are no formal entry requirements for this course, although you must be working in an adult health and social care setting
- Some level of computer literacy is required to access this course
- HNC: Social Services based on academic reference
- SVQ Level 7 qualification
Successful completion of the course will allow you to register with the SSSC.
- For the part-time course there is a cost for students
- You may be entitled to an ITA of £200 to help towards the cost of this course