This course will develop the skills you need to work in a pastry section, patisserie or artisan bakery. You will learn skills in craft baking, artisan breads, sweets and desserts, and specialist units such as marzipan and sugar products. Building on skills you learned at level 5, this course will develop you further, helping you to gain confidence in your abilities both in practical and theory subjects.
- Gain the skills and knowledge required to source quality commodities and resources.
- Apply and integrate knowledge and skills across culinary operational areas.
- Develop associated knowledge and skills, such as specialist culinary skills, food hygiene and control systems.
- Undertake options to permit an element of vocational specialism, in particular in the area pastry. Gain a customer focused attitude through an understanding of the role of team members
- One year full-time – may include twilight classes
- Craft baking
- Creative cake design
- Marzipan and pastilage
- Pastry and desserts
- Food hygiene
- Work placement
- Core skills
One of the following:
- Intermediate Certificate: Bakery including Core Skill at level 5.
- Four National 5s at Grade C or above, preferably including English and Hospitality/Practical Cake Craft
- Mature applicants with industry/work experience/other qualifications will be considered on an individual basis
In addition, internal applicants will require a positive Internal Learner Reference (ILR)
- HNC: Professional Cookery (Patisserie) SCQF Level 7
- MA or SVQ courses in the industry
- Bakery operative
- Cake designer
- Pastry chef
- Locker - £10.00
- You may be required to take part in an informal conversation as part of the application process.
- This group/individual conversation may be an information session, a portfolio discussion, or a skills based exercise