This course is all about further developing your culinary skills and knowledge of the professional kitchen. Its focus is on food production and dish presentation skills and you will cook a wide variety of dishes from soups and starters through to main courses and desserts, always aiming for the highest standard.
You will develop your own menu day and take control of service where you can showcase your skills and talent. Food service is part of the course.
If you wish to work in a professional kitchen and produce dishes using fresh produce to a high standard, then this course is for you.
This course also includes the opportunity to participate in a 2 week study trip to Italy where you will be inspired by Italian food, culture and language, increasing your skills and confidence and providing you with an experience that will stay with you for the rest of your life!
- One year full-time
- This course may require attendance in the evening
- Professional cookery
- Food hygiene
- Hospitality costing
- Menu development
- Desserts and pastry
- Food service
- Project work
- The Core Skills of ICT, numeracy and communication will be developed and certificated on this course
One of the following:
- SVQ: Professional Cookery SCQF Level 5 – including communications and ICT at SCQF level 5
- Relevant industry experience and/or other qualifications will be considered on an individual basis
- HNC: Professional Cookery SCQF Level 7
- HNC: Professional Cookery (Patisserie) SCQF Level 7
- Commis chef
- Senior commis chef
- Junior chef de partie
- Padlock/locker deposit – £10 (where appropriate)
- You may be required to take part in an informal conversation as part of the application process. This group/individual conversation may be an information session, a portfolio discussion, or a skills based exercise
- Portfolio of dishes and knowledge assessment