Engineering is everywhere, helping transform people's lives around the globe. The work that engineers do is creative and hands-on. It's about designing things, finding solutions and improving things.
Engineering is one of the few career options that spans every sector, from sport to space. So whatever you care most about, there will be some engineering involved.
According to Engineering UK, 124,000 engineers and technicians with core engineering skills will be required each year in the UK alone.
Did you know that Engineering apprentices earn significantly more than the national apprentice minimum wage and the average Scottish engineer salary is 28% higher per year than the average Scottish salary.
So, there has never been a better time to start your career in Engineering!
The application of Computer Aided Draughting (CAD) is a powerful means of showing 2-Dimensional, 3-Dimensional and animated drawings, using the latest in computer technology. CAD has revolutionised the way in which a wide range of industries operate, including Architectural Drawing and Interior Design.
This highly sought after HNC equips you with the necessary skills to enter the labour market, or progress onto a higher level qualification in this specialist field. Software used throughout the course includes AutoCAD 2020, Inventor 2020 and Revit 2020.
Part-time options include (min 3 hours/week typically Wednesday 6-9pm or Friday 2-5pm) and enrolment for part time can take place throughout the academic year.
- One year full-time
- Part-time (min 3 hours/week typically Wednesday 6-9pm or Friday 2-5pm)
- Enrolment for part time can take place throughout the academic year
- CAD: 2D I (using AutoCAD 2020)
- CAD: 2D II (using AutoCAD 2020)
- CAD: 3D surface and solid modelling (using AutoCAD 2020)
- CAD: user systems (using Microsoft Office)
- CAD: feature based modelling (using Inventor 2020)
- CAD: principles (using Inventor 2020)
- Design methodology
- Cad: 3D printing and scanning
- CAD: architectural 1 (using Revit 2020)
- Graded unit (using Inventor 2020 or Revit 2020)
One of the following:
- Foundation Apprenticeship: Engineering SCQF Level 6
- One Higher at Grade C or above plus three National 5s at Grade C or above, one of which would preferably be Graphic Communication
- National Certificate: Engineering Systems SCQF Level 6
- National Certificate: Mechanical Engineering SCQF Level 6
- Another relevant course at SCQF Level 6 accompanied with a good academic reference recommending articulation to a higher level
- Relevant industry experience and/or other qualifications will be considered on an individual basis
- HND: Architectural Technology SCQF Level 8 (Year 1 access only)
- HND: Computer Aided Design SCQF Level 8 (available at other institutions)
- CAD operator/technician
- Architectural technician
- Building Surveyor
- You may be required to take part in an informal conversation as part of the application process. This group/individual conversation may be an information session, a portfolio discussion, or a skills based exercise