This Foundation Apprenticeship (FA) is made up of National Certificate: Civil Engineering, selected SVQ units, and an Industry Challenge Project work placement where you will gain invaluable work experience whilst undertaking a Vocational Qualification (VQ).
Together, these aspects ensure that you gain knowledge, skills and competence, and ensures that you gain the relevant theories and reasons behind the work-based actions which complement the vocational elements of the programme. You will also be registered with the Institution of Civil Engineers (ICE) as student members as part of the Foundation Apprenticeship.
- Problem solving skills
- Team work skills
- Report writing skills
- Analytical skills
- Negotiation skills
- Presentation skills
- Time management
- The FA covers a wide range of practical and theoretical aspects of Civil Engineering.
- You will experience topics such as mechanics, site surveying, geotechnics, technology, materials testing, maths and CAD.
- You will have access to the latest software, technology and equipment which will enrich the learning experience to best prepare for progression to college, university or employment.
- You will also undertake an industrial work placement.
- Prior to your informal discussion to ascertain suitability for the course, you will need to be planning to study a minimum of one Higher in a relevant discipline such as Maths, Physics or Engineering Science whilst in S5
- School Transition Form
- It would be expected that you will already have, or be in the process of completing, National 5s in at least one of the courses above, with a strong emphasis on National 5 Maths being achieved prior to commencing the course
FAs are accepted by colleges and universities as part of their entry requirements. For full details, check out apprenticeships.scot.
Fife College will accept achievement of FA in Civil Engineering as equivalent to two Highers to support you to gain entry to:
- HNC: Architectural Technology
- HND: Architectural Technology
- HNC: Construction Management
- HNC: Civil Engineering
- HND: Civil Engineering
- HNC: Quantity Surveying
- HND: Quantity Surveying
- Civil engineer
- Site engineer
- Setting out engineer
- Site technical support
- Water engineer