This Foundation Apprenticeship (FA) is made up of National Certificate: Civil Engineering, selected SVQ units, and an Industry Challenge Project work placement where you will gain invaluable work experience whilst undertaking a Vocational Qualification (VQ).
Together, these aspects ensure that you gain knowledge, skills and competence, and ensures that you gain the relevant theories and reasons behind the work-based actions which complement the vocational elements of the programme. You will also be registered with the Institution of Civil Engineers (ICE) as student members as part of the Foundation Apprenticeship.
- Problem solving skills
- Team work skills
- Report writing skills
- Analytical skills
- Negotiation skills
- Presentation skills
- Time management
- The FA covers a wide range of practical and theoretical aspects of Civil Engineering.
- You will experience topics such as mechanics, site surveying, geotechnics, technology, materials testing, maths and CAD.
- You will have access to the latest software, technology and equipment which will enrich the learning experience to best prepare for progression to college, university or employment.
- You will also undertake an industrial work placement.
- Planning to study a minimum of 1 Higher such as Maths, Physics or Engineering Science.
- 4 x National 5 at C or above, one of which must be Maths.
- You must be capable of work at SCQF level 6 (Higher)
FAs are accepted by colleges and universities as part of their entry requirements. For full details, check out apprenticeships.scot.
Fife College will accept achievement of FA in Civil Engineering as equivalent to two Highers to support you to gain entry to:
- HNC: Architectural Technology
- HND: Architectural Technology
- HNC: Construction Management
- HNC: Civil Engineering
- HND: Civil Engineering
- HNC: Quantity Surveying
- HND: Quantity Surveying
- Civil engineer
- Site engineer
- Setting out engineer
- Site technical support
- Water engineer