On this course you will deepen your knowledge of chemistry, biology and physics, and develop valuable hands-on experience in experimental procedures. You will also gain a recognised SQA National Certificate in Applied Science as SCQF Level 6.
This course allows you to study the sciences at Higher level with a view to progressing to HNC: Applied Sciences then an HND or university course or directly into employment on one of the fast-growing, well-paid specialist STEM sectors.
Did you know that an estimated 804,000 are employed in Science, Engineering, Mathematics and Technology (STEM) related industries (including health-related businesses and activities) which represents 30.7% of all employment in Scotland!!
On year, full-time
What you study:
You will study all Higher free standing units for two sciences and one unit for the third science:
- National 5 Maths or Higher Maths
- You will develop the Core Skills of information technology and communication
- You will be expected to complete a laboratory science programme to introduce you to the Essential Skills required for a career in science
- Four National 5s at grade C or above including two sciences and a minimum of National 4 Mathematics (C747 74) or equivalent
- National Certificate: Applied Science SCQF Level 5
- HNC: Applied Sciences (with Biology) SCQF Level 7
- HNC: Applied Sciences (with Chemistry) SCQF Level 7
Our courses are widely respected among employers and provide an excellent route to degree study or employment.
You may be required to take part in an informal conversation as part of the application process. This group/individual conversation may be an information session, a portfolio discussion, or a skills based exercise.