This course is designed to provide structured opportunities for you to experience the world of work and also to further develop your skills within your chosen craft. The opportunity to undertake work placements within the community may also be available during the course which can culminate in a National Progression Award in a specialism of your choice.
- One year full-time
A mixture of practice and theory which includes the important subjects of numeracy, communication, and skills for successful employment.
Topics include the following, but all trades may not necessarily be offered at both campuses:
- Health and safety in the construction industry
- Technical drawing/computer aided design (CAD)
- Information technology
- Brickwork techniques
- Carpentry and joinery
- Decorative painting and finishes
- Roof slating and tiling
- Wall and floor tiling
- The Core Skills of ICT, numeracy and communication will be developed and certificated on this course
One of the following:
- Certificate: Construction Futures
- National 5 Practical Craft Skills at Grade C or above, plus four National 4s including Maths and English
- Relevant industry experience and/or other qualifications will be considered on an individual basis
- National Certificate: Built Environment
- Scottish Vocational Qualifications (SVQs) in construction disciplines
- After completion of this entry level course, you will be better informed about choices which you will need to make when considering a career in the construction industry.
- This course provides the underpinning knowledge required to continue Further Education in construction or seek an apprenticeship within the industry
- ALL PPE supplied by the college
- You may be required to take part in an informal conversation as part of the application process. This group/individual conversation may be an information session, a portfolio discussion, or a skills based exercise
- Successful completion of a School Transition Form