Power BI Desktop is part of the suite of tools from Microsoft which enable data to be analysed and published from a variety of sources. With Power BI Desktop, you get a report authoring tool that enables you to connect to and query data from different sources using the Query Editor. From the datasets you build with Query Editor you can create Reports and Visualizations or dashboards within Power BI Desktop. Reports can then be published. This course covers the use of Power BI Desktop to connect to data, create Visualizations, query the data and publish reports.
This 2-day Introduction to Power BI is free of charge to women earning less than £24k per year, who live or work in the Edinburgh Cities Region, and is designed to help you adapt to the demands of increasingly digitalised, automated and data-driven workplaces.
The Edinburgh Cities Region consists of the following areas:
- East and West Lothian
- Scottish Borders
This course is supported by Data Skills for Work at The Data Lab through the Edinburgh Cities Deal Digital Skills Project, funded by the Scottish Government.
- This course will develop an understanding of how learners can examine large amounts of related data and produce reports summarising the data.
- 2 days at Carnegie Conference Centre, Dunfermline
- 15 & 16 January 2024 (9.30-4.30pm)
- Lunch and Refreshments will be provided
- Power BI Desktop concepts and main features
- Data Sources compatible with Power BI Desktop
- Connecting to data with Power BI Desktop
- Explore data visualisations
- Apply common query tasks to shape data in Power BI Desktop
- Create and publish reports
- Existing users of Excel with an understanding of database features
- Further education courses, Intermediate Power BI and Data Science courses.
- Entry level Data Worker
- Digital roles