The qualification has been specifically designed as a competence component in the Modern Apprenticeship Framework.This qualification has seven core mandatory units, and six optional pathways. Learners must complete all of the mandatory units plus one pathway which will provide them with the competence to work in the Gas Utilisation sector.
The optional pathways are relevant to either central heating installation and maintenance, central heating and appliance installation and maintenance engineers which cover installation and maintenance of gas water heating and wet central heating appliances, domestic gas space heating appliances, domestic gas cookers, tumble dryers and leisure appliances, ducted gas warm air heaters or dealing with upstream or downstream gas emergencies. This course is assessed by practical and theoretical assessments in college and industry work place visits in order to achieve the full qualification.
- Health & Safety
- Hand Skills
- Problem Solving
- Working with Others
- Numeracy / Maths
- Communication Skills
- Customer service
- 2 / 3 but minimum of 18 months depending on what route delivered.
- Understanding health and safety in gas utilisation,
- Understanding scientific principles in gas utilisation,
- Understanding combustion and properties of gas,
- Understanding buildings, services and structures,
- Understanding gas safety,
- Install gas pipework up to 35mm,
- Gas tightness testing and direct purging
Learners must also take the following specific mandatory units within their chosen pathway.
This qualification is predominantly for employed status learners who want to be gas installation and maintenance engineers working in the gas industry in UK.
The qualification may also be suitable for learners who are interested in gas utilisation and/or are considering a career change. The qualification has been specifically designed as a competence component in the Modern Apprenticeship Framework. It is suitable for learners aged:
- Further study at College, HNC Construction Management; or
- Progress to HNC/D/Degree in Building services at another college or university.
- Sustainable employment or into running your own business or management.
- You would be advised to have your own PPE (boots & overalls).
- The applications will be accepted through Business development as for Apprentice class.